Sunday, July 6, 2008

George H. Mitchell (1946 - 2002)



"He'd have 25 kids going in 25 different directions. But he knew each direction the children were heading in and exactly where he wanted each of them to end up."
-James Lucia, assistant principle of the Meridith G. Williams Middle School

For the most part I will keep my posts unbiased and fairly professional. Although I will occasionally make personal posts on people who I have met and who have inspired me personally. This is a very personal entry dedicated to a man who taught me more about myself than any other teacher could: Mr. George H. Mitchell.

For anyone who knew Mr. Mitchell, you know what an amazing and inspiring man he was to all he met, especially his students. For those of you who did not have the privilege of knowing him, George Mitchell was a fifth grade teacher in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. He was well-known for his fun-loving personality and the disco ball hanging from his classroom ceiling. Mr. Mitchell's classroom held 30 refurbished computers, one for each of his students. He affectionately called his students the "Mitchell's Monsters", telling them "once a Monster, always a Monster".

He had served in the coast guard for five years, during which he earned the title of Lieutenant. Mr. Mitchell also held a bachelor's and master's degrees in education from Bridgewater State College. He was the president of the Bridgewater-Raynham Education Association, a former member of the School Committee and actively supported local youth sports. His dedication and passion for teaching and his students was evident to the entire community, and was always willing to reach into his own pocket for his students, even to the point of paying for children's class pictures if he knew their family was having financial troubles.

A cancer patient almost 30 years ago, George had struggled with the effects of his treatment, but volunteered as a counselor for others who were suffering from cancer themselves. He never thought he would live to see his four children graduate high school, but lived to see the birth of his first grandchild.

Unfortunately, George passed away in his home on Monday May 20, 2002 at the age of fifty-six. Following his death, a former student petitioned students and faculty to rename the Bridgewater Elementary School to the George H. Mitchell Elementary School. Future generations will not have the honor of being taught by Mr. George H. Mitchell but he will forever be remembered and honored for his passion for teaching and his love for his students for all those who pass through his school.

"Once a Monster, always a Monster."

Sources:
Brockton Enterprise - May 20, 2002; Pages B1, B3, B11

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
What a lovely, sweet surprise...This is from George's oldest daughter...I stumbled upon this and wanted to thank you for posting it. He truly was a special man and I miss him every day. Thank you for thinking of him...he was my hero.
Darcy

Weekly Heroes said...

He has made such an impact on my life. I wish I could have told him everything he did for me. I think of him often and his memory keeps me strong through hard times.

Thank you so much for leaving me this comment. It has raised my spirits so much.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Erin,
When did you have him? Did you have him back when he taught readiness or 3rd or 5th grade?

He was a special, special human being--I think he found a way to impact every child and every person he met...He loved teaching and he loved his students. I am so glad you had the opportunity to know him!!!
Darcy

Weekly Heroes said...

Darcy,
I was in the 2000-2001 class when he was teaching fifth grade.

I too am glad I had the chance to know him, if only for a short time. He has definitely had an impact on many people. All of my friends from fifth grade still speak highly of him. We all miss him.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

I was in his third grade class in the early/mid 90s and he was one of the very first people in my life to tout how prolific computers would be in the future. His teaching style was beyond the necessary that to this day I remember Mr. Mitchell over most teachers I had after. He knew how to teach to a student and the fact that the building named after him quickly disintegrated into a pile of rubble is an absolute tragedy. I will make sure his name is attached to a building which provides integrity and pride, because he deserves nothing less!

Glad you got experience him and wish you the best.